Monday 20 May 2013

Jumpers for goal posts


In response to This town, is coming like a ghost town.

Whenever I walk past the Transport Museum there is generally football match going on in the space at the front. This made me wonder about a jumpers for goal posts mentality and how that mentality could be applied elsewhere.

I see this mentality as being about engaging with your surroundings to find a space suitable for an activity and then engaging in that activity. As well as urban football I also see Street SkatingParkour and Buildering. All of these are pretty physical activities, there are examples of other types activity that engage with spaces available. The Bucky Bar (see Social Space post) is an example of this, although it doesn't quite achieve the simplicity of the other examples. I have also attempted to do this with an event called Stairwell Cinema which turned a stairwell in to a cinema. 

I see this mentality as a potential answer to any lack of formal space for an activity. Through engaging with a space, such as the urban space of the city, we can identify how the characteristics of the space lend themselves to an activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment