Thursday 9 May 2013

Conversation with Elinor Morgan





I met with Elinor Morgan the programmer of Extra Special People at East Side Projects. The above image is an attempt to organise what we discussed and with a view to gaining a better definition of my interests/aims.

There were several really important questions and points that came out of the conversation. What follows are my initial responses and thoughts.

What is the Project?

I feel this questions has to be given some form of answer first. By answering this question I feel I will gain a greater level of direction within my practice.

At this point in time I can confidently say that the project is about The Commons and to further frames that I would say Common Space is the particular area that I want to explore. Admittedly Common Space is still a very broad area but I through understanding my role in any project along with research into common spaces the project will become more defined.

I have already been in contact with the Wasteland Twinning with regards to working with a Wasteland in Coventry. This is a project I envision becoming a Common Space. I have also been working with the other studio holders at the Meter Room with a view to re framing my studio as a Common Space.

What is my role?

Architecture has always been a big influence upon my practice; add to this the desire to work with common spaces I can see framing myself as an art-chitect of common space. I see myself as taking on a role that would involve the creating and or shaping of a common space(s) which can be animated by the activity of the community.

I came across a description of Strelka Institute which with a few minor tweaks provides a good description of the common spaces I would like to shape
...a collective, intellectual common space for the exchange of knowledge, ideas, discussions and encounters...
 I feel that I should shape and frame the space but I would like others to take on the role of animating it.

Community and commitment.

Having discussed common spaces I was asked who I wanted to engage with. Did I want to engage with my peers in the art community or with a wider more diverse community? I really don't want to create a space that is hidden behind the veil of the art institution

I want to engage with the wider more diverse community, I understand this will be difficult. I feel that this is where a core community/team is required. I not sure how strong I would be when it comes to actively trying to engage a wider community. I imagine my skills would develop but I feel that other members of the core team would fu
lfil this shortcoming  This kind of project is much bigger than anything I can undertake myself. I want to see an engaged community that animate the spaces sharing their knowledge, stories and ideas etc.

Elinor did explain that I would have to be committed to any project that would engage with a wider community. The project would be asking the community to invest into it and it would be totally inappropriate to just drop the project at some point in the future. I accept that I would have to make this commitment, I would have to enter into knowing full well what I was committing to.

Socially Engaged Practice

One thing that did become apparent was that much of my knowledge about this area comes from outside of the art world. There are practitioners working in and around the areas I'm interested in. Checking out some of these people out is very high on my list.

Connecting with others

Connecting with other people to share ideas also came up. This is where some of the the core team mentioned earlier will come from I'm sure. I have already begun some conversations with other regarding Wasteland Twinning. Through ESP I hope to connect with other artists working in similar areas. The conversation will help me to really understand and develop my work. I really hope that my input would also be of benefit too.

Knowing the context and community

We discussed how important it will be to understand the context and the community. The project must be framed in the correct way for the community to be able to engage with it. It will be really important to understand the Coventry and its history, it is important that the context and community are engaged from an informed position. 



No comments:

Post a Comment